Hi! My name is Alyssa (she/her). I’m a fifth-year social work student who is grateful to be learning here on the traditional and unceded territory of the Tk’emlúps te Secwepemc within Secwepemcul’ecw.

I first got involved in research working as an assistant for Dr. Jennifer Murphy and Dr. Juliana West, researching the needs of women recently released from prison. After this project was complete, a fellow social work student and I applied for an Undergraduate Research Experience Award (UREAP). Our research centered around women who had previously been incarcerated and now work as peer mentors helping others reintegrate back into the community. Currently, I am working on a research team analysing women’s experiences of gender inequity in the Kamloops region. Our hope is for this research to have a tangible effect on service provision for women here in Kamloops.

My advice for students who are wishing to get involved in research is to take risks and be open to learning new things. I had never considered working in criminal justice before my research experience. Through research, I became very interested in the field and now I am doing my practicum supporting people recently released from Kamloops Regional Correctional Centre. Don’t be afraid to challenge yourself, you never know what might spark your curiosity!

Shared By: Anonymous
Image Alt Text: None provided
Reuse License: no license identified